The Francis and Keogh reports highlight the need for good governance and effective Non-Executive Directors in the NHS
First the Francis report and now the Review into the quality of care and treatment provided by 14 hospital trusts in England by Professor Sir Bruce Keogh have highlighted the crucial role played by Non-executive directors in the NHS.
The effective NHS Non-Executive Director is an interactive one-day course specifically designed for aspiring, newly appointed and serving Non-Executive Directors of NHS Trusts and NHS provider organisations including Social Enterprises
The course provides an essential grounding in corporate governance in the context of the NHS and wider healthcare provision during a period of great change.
In order to be effective members of an NHS or healthcare provider board, Non-Executive Directors need to fully understand their roles and responsibilities particularly with respect to the identification and management of risk, accountability, oversight, assurance and governance.
Recent high profile incidents such as Mid Staffordshire and Winterbourne View have thrown into the spotlight the important role that Non-Executive Directors have in ensuring that the needs of patients and service users are met in a safe, clinical environment. Using appropriate case studies, the course explores ways in which Non-Executive Directors can address these often sensitive and sometimes uncomfortable issues.
The course covers:
- the role of the Non-Executive Director in healthcare
- Directors’ duties and liabilities
- the NED skill-set & Case Studies
- Securing a NED position in healthcare
Who should attend?
Individuals who are aspiring, newly appointed or serving Non-Executive Directors of NHS Trusts and NHS provider organisations including Social Enterprises.
What to expect?
- Clarifies the roles and responsibilities of a non-executive director on an NHS or NHS provider board
- Provides practical guidance on how to address the particular challenges of governance in a healthcare context
Participation on this course will provide you with the knowledge to:
- understand corporate and clinical governance in the current healthcare environment
- be effective in your role as a Non-Executive Director in healthcare
- demonstrate the fundamental concepts, principles and practices of good governance
- learn from recent corporate governance failures to improve the effectiveness of your board
- confidently discharge your legal and fiduciary duties as a Non-Executive Director
Course Leader: David Doughty CDir FIoD
The course is delivered by David Doughty, a Chartered Director and highly experienced Non-Executive, Chief Executive, Chair, Entrepreneur and Business Mentor. David has extensive executive and non-executive experience in small and medium enterprises in private, public and voluntary sectors including the NHS. He is also a board level consultant to multi-national organisations and a Chartered Director Ambassador for the Institute of Directors. See his LinkedIn profile here: (http://uk.linkedin.com/in/daviddoughty)
Advanced Business Solutions
5G Milton Park
£330.00 (ex VAT)
Payment with Booking Price:
£300.00 (ex VAT)
Tier1 Member Price:
£280.00 (ex VAT)
To see course dates and to book your place now follow this link:
The fee includes lunch, refreshments and a copy of the course handbook
Attendance counts as 6 CPD hours of structured learning
Courses can be delivered 'in-house' to a group of Non-Executive Directors - to find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01173 827 820